So the last week has been pretty much a blur. Overall, Kolton is doing well. He started out on a bubble CPAP (Continuous Postive Airway Pressure- this helps him breathe by keeping the air sacs open) His lungs were very immature (even though at 24 weeks I had betamethasone shots which is a steroid to help his lungs mature in case he came early). Since Kolton was straining and working really hard to breathe with the CPAP he ended up having to be put on a ventilator (this is a breathing machine that directly delivers oxygen and breathes for the baby if necessary). A couple of days ago Kolton started doing better and he was put back on the CPAP and as of yesterday he was doing much better and is now just using a nasal cannula to help him breathe. He has jaundice (which is very common with preemies) and was on light therapy and as of yesterday he was taken of the lights and doing better with this. He started getting my breast milk a few days ago by an NG tube which is inserted through his nose and travels to his stomach. He is having a little trouble tolerating his feeds as he keeps having residuals (food left in his stomach that is not digested). They also have detected that he has a heart murmur and we are currently waiting to find out the result of his echogram. Overall, he is doing alright and I just feel blessed that he has made it into this world. One might think that having a preemie already might make things easier but every NICU roller coaster ride is so different. I know I just have to hang on to each moment and celebrate the little milestones because the next day, or even hour things could change.
To make things even more difficult, after I delivered Kolton I thought I had been battling allergies (itchy throat, dry cough, etc.) but we have determined that I have some type of bug. Because preemies are so vulnerable, nobody is allowed to visit if they have the slightest inclination that they might be sick. So....I have not been able to see my baby for the last three days. I have had heartbreak before but I honestly can't describe how painful this has been, having a baby and then not being able to be there for him. I am having a really hard time with this and can't even express in words how devastated I feel. Kaden has not been able to meet his brother yet either because he has a little cold (or whatever it is) too. He is doing pretty good with all the chaos and I'm sure he is trying to make sense of it all in his little head. He still comes up to my belly and gives it a kiss saying "Hi baby!". I don't think he will really understand it until he finally sees him. Hopefully that day will come soon for both of us. Luckily Kyle is still well and has been seeing Kolton everyday. He even got to hold him yesterday. I really wanted to be there for that special moment but I am just glad that Kolton is able to get some love. Anyhow..I will try to post some pics (I am relying on Ky to do get more at this point) and keep you all up to date. Thank you all for your prayers. That is what really got us though things the last time around.

5 comments:
I love you Kelly (and the rest of your family even though I yet to meet them!) You are in our prayers for sure, hang in there and get yourself well- before you know it you'll be loving on the little cutie- then before you know it you'll try to give him a hug and he'll run saying "no - play Zane!" (oh wait- that's my little cutie!)Many virtual hugs and kisses for all!
Chera
Thinking of all of you guys! praying for Kolton and hoping things continue to improve.
And Happy anniversary today!
Hopeing you get better soon so you can cuddle with your baby boy!
Seeing these pictures brought a tear to my eye. I can't wait to finally meet him! Love you guys!
Yes, Happy Anniversary!!:) Sending healing thoughts to your whole family! We can help with Kaden any time. We would love to have him. Cant wait to meet Mr Kolton. He looks so deliciously adorbale! Love Hugs and everything good!
So sorry to hear that you are not able to be near him Kel; I can't even imagine how difficult that must be. But glad that he has a wonderful Daddy that is there with him. I am praying for all of you and hope that all continues to go well. Hang in there...you are so strong! Love you so much.
-Suzy
Post a Comment