Sunday, September 19, 2010

Finally!!!!




I finally got to see and hold Kolton yesterday!!! Words can't even describe how I felt. I felt like I could breathe again. It felt like the best feeling in the world!I don't think I could've held out another day. It was so awful. He is doing really well. He didn't even look like the same baby I saw a week ago. He has made so much progress in just a week. As of today here is the update.....He is breathing completely on his own (no cannula or anything), his bilirubin continues to decrease (7.2)and he is no longer on light therapy, he weighed 4.1 pounds so he is starting to gain weight, he is getting 9 ml of breast milk per hour and they have stopped the TPN (Total Parental Nutrition which is extra nutrients for his growth and development), they removed his PICC line (Percutaneously inserted central catheters are long, thin, plastic tubes that travel from a vein in an arm or leg into one of the large veins near the heart. In premature infants, they are used to deliver fluids or medications.A PICC line is similar to a peripheral IV, but is longer and lasts longer. Premature infants have fragile veins, and peripheral IVs usually last only 1 to 3 days. A PICC line, though more difficult to insert, can be used for 1 to 2 weeks or more.) He has also been in an incubator and since he has been able to maintain his temperature on his own they are going to move him into an open crib tonight.
He is making all the necessary steps to come home and if he keeps doing so well the next step will be to work on his feedings. He is already sucking on a pacifier which is great because the next concept for him to get is to be able to suck, swallow and breathe at the same time, which usually doesn't happen until around 34 weeks. I am feeling so blessed and praying for Kolton's continued progress.

I also want to give a big thank you to Betty (a.k.a Mimi) for coming down and helping us out. She was able to go visit Kolton when me and my mom couldn't and she thoroughly kept us informed about everything. She also became buddies with some of the nurses! Thank you to all of you who have helped me get through this so far and for giving me strength when I hardly had any left! xoxoxo

5 comments:

matt and christy said...

yay! so happy to see these pictures with the both of you in them. keep growing strong kolton, we are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Kel I words cannot even describe what you and ky have been through. Kolton is amazing! He is beautiful. I have been checking your updates everyday to read the new miracles of the day and your smile holding your baby boy so far has been my fave! We wish all of you great health and pray that you bring Kolton home soon. We love you guys so much and are so excited to meet Kolton.

The Smith Family said...

Your smile says it all! So happy for you and your family. Im loving this update. Sounds like Kolton is really making some great strides! We cant wait to meet him and give you all big hugs!

Suzy Johnson said...

So glad to hear this good news!!!! What a relief to get to see him and hold him; he is adorable and looks great. I hope he will be going home with you guys very soon! Love you.

Suzy Johnson said...

So glad to hear this good news!!!! What a relief to get to see him and hold him; he is adorable and looks great. I hope he will be going home with you guys very soon! Love you.